When a tiling job is undertaken, choosing the right tile takes up far too much time and effort, while choosing the grout is a decision left to the contractor. However, choosing the right grout requires some serious thought too. The quality of your tiling in fact, depends a great deal on the kind of grout you choose. Grout is the material that fills the joints between tiles, especially at areas where the floor and the wall meet. Let’s go over some tips for choosing grouts, which will give you the knowledge to choose the right grout for your tiling job.
When choosing grouts, two factors come into play – aesthetics and properties. Both are equally important.
1. Aesthetics refers to the colour of the grout. Does it blend with the colour of the tile? Does it contrast the tile? Or is it a neutral colour that like grey that will work with most tiles? Careful thought should go into these decisions, because if your grout doesn’t set off the tiling, even the most expensive tiles will not look good.
2. Properties of a grout refer to the strength and composition of the grout. It helps you make such decisions as whether to go in for sanded grout, or un-sanded grout. This decision actually depends on the size of the tile joints. If the tile joints are small, between 1/16th and 1/8th inch, one can choose un-sanded grout. For larger tile joints, it is best to use sanded grout, because it provides the additional adhesive required to bridge larger gaps. It’s also recommended to use sanded grout when tiling natural stone, glass tiles, marble tiles, etc.
When one talks about the properties of grout, one should also know that there are two main types of grouts available these days. Cement grout which comes in the form of powdered cement that is dissolved in water for use as grout, and epoxy grout which is made up of epoxy reins and has a filler powder. What’s the difference? Epoxy grouts are naturally water-resistant and unlike cement grouts, the application process doesn’t need to be followed by a sealer. Epoxy grouts are far more superior than cement grouts, and therefore more expensive, but worth it in the long run.
Why are Epoxy Grouts Superior?
1. Epoxy grouts are very durable. While cement grouts are prone to cracking or coming off when exposed to heavy footfall or pressure, epoxy grouts can last for years.
2. Epoxy grouts are naturally water-resistant and therefore provide a water-tight barrier. This makes it impossible for bacteria to grow.
3. Epoxy grouts are resistant too; when no water seeps into the tiling, there are no stains! You will never have to spend time cleaning the joints of your tiling.
4. Epoxy grouts are gentle giants – perfect for tiles that break easily such as porcelain. They protect the tile gently, but are strong and resilient.
5. Epoxy grouts offer greater bond strength and chemical resistance
Epoxy is the most durable grout available in the market today. It also comes in various colours to suit the aesthetics of your tiling job. Roff Rainbow Tile Mate Epoxy is a high-quality epoxy grout available in India. The only point of caution is to understand that the application process for Epoxy grouts is completely different from that of a normal cement grout. So ensure that your tiling professional is aware of this, and has the know-how to implement your tiling perfectly!