Roof, the fifth wall of the house is as important as all the other four. However, it needs extra care and maintenance as it is exposed to various climatic conditions. In this article I will be discussing some of the main reasons of roof leakage, how it affects your house and the ways to fix it.
Why you need to repair the roof:
Leaky roof can damage the house structure in many ways, some of them are:
- A leaky roof first damages the ceiling. Water makes its way from the roof to the ceiling and affects the ceiling plaster and paint. Plaster expands and paint starts to peel off from the ceiling.
- This water can damage all the electrical fixtures mounted on the ceiling and can be very dangerous. If the house has a concealed wiring then roof leak can cause short circuit too.
- Water leaking through the roof can easily make its way into the walls and can be a source of seepage and dampness in the house. Constant water intrusion can cause peeling of paint, dampness on the walls and cracking of plaster.
- Dampness on the walls caused by leaky roof is a perfect spot for mold and mildew to grow. Mold then spreads all around the house and can be a cause of serious health issues like allergies, asthma and respiratory diseases.
- If ingress of water is constant then water can easily makes its way from the roof through the walls and into the foundation of the house. It can be a very costly affair to repair the damaged foundation.
- Leaking roof can cause permanent damage in structural integrity of house.
How to repair a leaking roof:
Proper roof inspection should be done frequently and when you notice signs of damage, get it repaired immediately.
- First try finding the exact location of the roof leak. If the roof leak is small then look for water stains, black spot or mold. Usually the leaky roof would be directly above it.
- If the roof doesn’t have a proper slope to allow water to drain off the roof then there are chances of water clogging which can be a reason of roof leak.
- Sometimes it’s hard to track down the exact location of the leak as the affected area is larger and it originates away from where you notice the leak.
- Solution to this problem is waterproofing the entire roof. Dr. Fixit products are known to be the most effective waterproofing solution.
- First make sure that the surface is clean and dry.
- Repair all the cracks and damages on the roof surface before coating it with waterproofing solution.
- Fixit Newcoat and Dr. Fixit Torchshield are ideal for roof waterproofing. Apply the first coat of waterproofing solution on the surface of the roof and follow the instructions given on product packaging for ideal time gap between each coat.
- Fixit waterproofing solutions are resistant to mold, mildew, UV and infrared rays. These products are easy to use and seldom require professional help.
Hope you now understand the importance of proper maintenance, timely inspection and waterproofing the roof.
Powered by Dr Fixit – The Waterproofing Expert