Your house requires much more than just a fresh coat of paint. While you may do everything to make it look neat and beautiful, you also need to pay particular attention to waterproofing your exteriors especially the terrace. The roof of your house is prone to extreme weather conditions such as harsh summers and the unforgiving monsoons. This may cause a host of problems such as clogged pipes, cracks and damages to the terrace slab which may lead to dampness and water seepage. Problems like these can pose a threat to the safety of the structure and therefore your house. This can be prevented by opting for effective terrace waterproofing methods which often involve the use of expertise and specially formulated roof waterproofing solutions.
Traditional terrace waterproofing methods in India include brick bat coba, tarfelt and bituminous treatment. However, these methods have their own limitations and are now being replaced by advanced and innovative solutions such as roof waterproofing paints, primers and sealants.
For instance, the brick bat coba system is one of the most common flat roof waterproofing methods and mainly involves placing brick bats on roofs to make a slope that facilitates smooth water drainage. However, this system cannot be called an effective waterproofing method because of the following limitations:
- It causes unnecessary load on the terrace slabs which can be impossible to repair when cracked.
- This method is vulnerable to temperature variations which again can lead to the development of cracks.
- Bricks used in the method are porous and can hold a large amount of water, leading to water stagnation and leakages.
- The manpower and expertise required for the application of conventional methods is not present these days causing the system to fail.
- Removing the brick bat and coba from the terrace requires a lot of effort and is often time consuming. In some cases, the material is even fixed to the main surface, thus causing surface damage while dismantling it.
To know the type of terrace waterproofing method needed for your roof, you must first know the type of issue you are facing. Start by inspecting your roof to know if it needs to be repaired and waterproofed. Check for structural and non-structural issues arising due to improper construction and maintenance of terrace. These issues can include cracks on the top and bottom of the terrace slabs, excess porosity, improper slope, insufficient water pipes, internal cracks and so on. Get these issues fixed immediately as ignoring them will only can cause safety and health risks for you and your family.
Here is why you should opt for roof waterproofing using the latest waterproofing solutions:
- If you suspect any leaks, try and find the exact location. A leaky terrace can damage your ceiling with the water starting to affect the plaster and paint. The water can also enter the walls of the house making them damp. This leakage can also affect electrical appliances and cause short circuits.
- Improper slopes can cause drainage issues which can make the water accumulate on your terrace during monsoons.
- Chronic water leakage can aid the growth of mold and mildew in your house causing health hazards such as allergic rhinitis, asthma symptoms, and inflammations and so on.
- Structural issues such as cracks at column joints can cause water seepage which may compromise the integrity of the overall structure. The water can seep through to the foundation of the house making repairs a costly affair.
Once you know the issue, you can then go ahead and fix it with the help of a structural consultant. Alternatively, certain issues can be resolved using waterproofing solutions that are easily available in the market. For instance:
- Excessively porous slabs can be fixed with injection grouting
- Expansion joints can be fixed using sealant application
- Protect your tiles from harsh weather conditions using suitable waterproofing solutions
- An effective waterproofing solution can increase crack bridging abilities and also protect the surface from harmful UV rays
- Water accumulation on the terrace can be resolved by ensuring that there is an adequate number of water pipes for efficient drainage
Besides the above, it is always preferable to waterproof the roof of your new house using suitable roof waterproofing solutions. Also ensure that your basement is safe from water leakages. This can be achieved by using various waterproofing solutions for the basement to ensure deep and shallow basement waterproofing. Take professional help to inspect your basement and fix minor leaks using waterproofing products and sealers.
Check for warning signs that may hint towards using waterproofing solutions for the basement:
- Check for mold that usually grow in damp areas and may cause respiratory problems
- Damaged paint due to water seeping through the basement walls
- Widening cracks that may indicate structural damage
You can undertake several prevention measures such as using interior waterproofing sealers, checking for an efficient drainage system and waterproofing the exteriors to prevent any structural damages.
Use the above waterproofing methods to ensure that your house is completely safe and protected from water leakage.